Thursday, August 14, 2008

Vacation Recap

Now, I guess I should apologize to all my blog readers for this little blip in regular postings, so to both of you, sorry.

I don't know why, but coming off this vacation has been quite a struggle. I'm always ready to get home from vacation and get back to my own routine, but for some reason it took a long time to get back on track. I think every time I come home from visiting my family there is a bit of sadness in leaving them, and compound that with other bits of sadness in my life...

Anyway, things are good now, and I have got myself organized and back on schedule. Including organizing some photos, so here are some highlights from my trip:

1. Seeing Wicked.
This was by far the greatest part of my trip. I am listening to it right now. (I hope you get it, and don't live to regret it.) Dan's family all thought I was crazy for paying so much money to see it; I think they are crazy to not. Completely awesome, and wish I could do it again tomorrow.

2. Our lodging.
We stayed in a cabin in the Hudson Valley. It took us about 2 1/2 hours via car and train to get into the city. So in that sense it was a little far away, but it was so nice. Here are some photos:


3. 8 states in 10 days.
That's pretty cool, huh?

4. Spending time with family.
Did we got on each other's nerves a few times? yes. Was there a blowup? Oh, a couple. But do we all love each other? of course. Dan always loves hanging out with his siblings, and I especially enjoyed seeing the people we don't see often. One day, we went with Dan's brother and his wife on a little hike, and lo and behold, we ended up in Mass.



5. The Manhattan Temple.
But it is really a sad story. I had forgotten my recommend, so I called the temple on Friday and told them we were coming Tuesday. They said they would take care of it. BUT, when we got there on Tuesday, they had not been able to get a hold of my bishop or Stake President. So I sat at the entrance while everyone else went inside. It was devastating, but I kept thinking, I do not want this to happen to me when it really matters. I had better live my life right. So if you are in my ward, you just might hear this story one day in a talk.

6. The Letterman Show.
This was fun. I'm glad we did it, but I don't think I ever need to do it again. It took all afternoon. You could see us on tv, we were on the fourth row, but only if you didn't blink. Dan's sister almost got to do a bit in the Hello Deli. They had her miked and everything, and then at the last minute they had to do a different segment because some one was getting arrested on the sidewalk in front of the deli.

7. Attending church.
We got to go to a branch where there were about 40 people in sacrament meeting. So our 12 were really noticeable. But I love seeing how the church is different, and yet the same, in different places.

Ok, so I will post again soon to tell you about the Utah half of our vacation. Phew, a girl needs a break from typing.

3 comments:

Stephani said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Stephani said...

I loved how you wrote that bits of sadness can add up to a whole lot of sadness. I've been trying to articulate that feeling for awhile, but never could get it to make sense. I propose that we, after the kids are in school, go out to lunch, do freezer meals, etc. You know, combat some of the bits of sadness with a bit of fun here or there. I don't know about you, but I think - know - I'm going to need it once school hits. :)

Camilla Millar said...

Wow, sounds like a great experience. I totally, totally, totally, totally would have payed that much to go to wicked. I paid $150 (during college and I had NO extra money) to see Cirque d'Soleil (sp?)-- it was every doggone penny. Great shows are worth the money. . . .I just imagine the years of training and sacrifice that the actors have gone through.