Sunday, November 2, 2008

World's Best Sugar Cookies


Okay, I highly doubt that they are the world's greatest, but I love them. I have had a few requests for the recipe, so here it is:

Holiday Sugar Cookies

1 cup butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 cup sour cream

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix well. Sift dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream. Chill. Roll and cut into shapes. Bake at 350 degrees for 8-10 minutes. When cooled, frost and decorate.

(My notes on the recipe: When it says chill, you really have to chill. I always do it overnight. Also, when you go to roll out the dough, you will have to add flour. Just keep adding a little at a time until you are able to roll easily. Finally, the main trick is to never overcook them. The bottom really should be the same color as the top. I cook mine for 9 minutes in my oven and then let them cool on the cookie sheet before I transfer them to a wire rack.)

You can use any frosting, but I do a basic buttercream:
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 1/2 tsp. vanilla
1-2 Tblsp. milk

Mix powdered sugar and butter. Stir in vanilla and one tablespoon of the milk. Gradually beat in just enough milk to make the frosting smooth and spreadable.

And finally, please do not judge the yumminess of the cookies on my photography ability. I just happened to have this pic on my computer from last Valentine's Day.

Enjoy!

3 comments:

Stephani said...

They were exceptionally good when you brought them over the other day! We all thank you!

Brit said...

they sound so yummy! I can't wait to try them out:)

Rachel Elaine said...

Always nice to have a new recipe! Hope you had a fun Halloween.