Sunday, June 7, 2009

Food Storage

Ok, I know what you are thinking. I am not even going to read this post because Angela is writing about the most boring topic ever--food storage. But can I just say, I now have a testimony of food storage. I am excited about building my family's food supply. I want to fill half my closet with shelves and rotate food that I know my family will eat.

So, how did this happen? We had a lady come to an Enrichment Activity in our ward. I thought it was going to be about making bread, and decided it might be a good idea to know what to do with all the wheat I have at my house. So I went to make my bread, which was awesome by the way, and along the way Karen told us how she does food storage in her home. Here is her website:

kneadfulthingsnow.com

And this is the simple answer for how to do food storage. Pick a certain number of meals. (Ideally, 30. But start with 7.) Have everything in your house to make this meal 12 times. When you make it once, next time you go to the store, you replace what you used. Here is the example she gave. Her family loves homemade pizza. She has the basic foundation of food storage. (Wheat, grains, beans, baking soda/powder, etc.) She makes the crust from her foundation. Next sauce. She stores 12 cans of her spaghetti sauce, because they use one can for a meal. She stores enough cheese (waxes it so it is shelf stable). She stores shelf stable pepperoni. Cans of olives and mushrooms.

So why is this the way to do your food storage instead of going by just what is on the provident living website? That is the starting point. If you only had what they listed, and had to survive solely on your food supply, you would get one pound of food per day. The bare minimum to merely survive. You and your children will slowly start to starve.

I truly wish I could share with you the spirit of that evening. Because I caught it. Seriously, check out her website. There is so much valuable information.

So, when I get back from Florida next week, I will be enhancing my food supply. (By the way, it shouldn't be food storage; it should be your food supply.) I am going to pick out 7 meals, and get the ingredients to make it 12 times. I will let you know what meals I choose. And I am going to get a wheat grinder and make some more bread, because what I make yesterday is gone.

7 comments:

amanda said...

that is awesome! I feel that passionate about my own food supply and I just organized it and felt such peace to know I am working on it! Thanks for the inpsiration to keep going!

Ashley said...

I truly believe that doing it that way takes all the stress out of building and maintaining our food supply. I figured this out a while ago and it's the only thing that sticks. Every couple of months I add a new meal. But, that hasn't happened yet! Good luck--you'll soon learn to love the whole "food storage" thing.

Alisha said...

Good for you! I was so bummed I couldn't go, I had signed up to but had to cancel. That is a great idea to start with the meals. I think a lot of people want to start their food storage, but have no idea how and get really overwhelmed! Have fun in Florida!

T Fowler said...

This sounds like a great idea. Keep me posted on what meals you have chosen. My food storage is based off of the church website. This idea seems more family friendly and practical. Thanks for sharing.

Michelle said...

Thanks for all the info. I will have to try it. Let me know how it goes!

Crystal said...

Like I said on facebook, I am so glad everyone liked it! I may have her come back to do a seminar and or another bread party. I was way impressed with her food room!!

Camilla Millar said...

Those sound like some great ideas. Now, if I could just implement. . . .